Thursday, July 9, 2009

To have or not to have?

For my classroom plan I centered myself around the technology that I do want, technology I do not want, and the way I dream to have it all set up.

The technology I want is:

1.) An interactive whiteboard. I would be able to set up different ways of teaching vocabulary words, verb conjugations, show you tube clips and the subs that would visit would be able to pop in a French video for the students with ease.

2.) Interaction with cellphones. I had heard of using cell phones in class and feel like if a teacher did not make them so taboo, their students would not go to great lenghts to use them. (but i dont know if my hypothesis is true;)

3.) Speakers. They would be placed around the room for the students to be able to hear CD tracks, video clips or movies. (and possibly for student to hear other students podcast.)

4.) A teacher's computer and a fax, copier, printer, and scanner (4 in 1). I feel like it would be very vital to be able to scan students outstanding work and show the class. I also would need to do attendance and print off assignments/tests.

5.) Electronic Dictionaries. I will have some actual book dictionaries, but I know as a child I missed out on a lot of word definition because I felt it was to laborious to go through a dictionary and find a word. On top of that I, personally, get frustrated when later in my French education, I would look up a French or English word and would be looking in the wrong section because the words I was looking at as indicators became like second nature.

The items I would like to have access to is:

6.) A computer lab. It would not be necessary for me, as a language teacher, to have constant access for all students to be on the computer, because I believe that teaching French or any language for that matter helps if one can interact with others. However to learn about the current cultures or to hear others talk, or even to I.M others that live in France occasionally would be wonderful.

7.) A scan tron grading machine. There are some tests such as vocabulary test that might be benefical to use a scan tron sheet. However, if I do use scan trons I would add extra choices to that it would be a little more difficult rather than just matching the even words.

The item I do not want in my classroom is:

8.) A central clock. I am a student who counts down the minutes until I am out of class. I realize when I am worried about leave a classroom I am not fully paying attention to my educators. I feel (HOPE) that this might help the students use the total amount of minutes in the classroom rather than sitting in anticipation.

As for the set up of my classroom I would like to have the interactive white board at the front of my classroom along with my desk, which holds my computer and 4 in 1 printer. I also would like to split the desks down the center with one side facing the other. I feel that this setup would be more conducive to class interaction as well as vocabulary games.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Tricia. I appreciate the way that you explained what you found attractive about each item, and how it fit into your larger vision for your classroom learning space, as well as your thoughts about how each item can help you connect with your students. I'll just mention one link to pursue. Liz is quite humble about this, but she's a national expert on cell phones in learning. Especially a propos points 2 and 4 on your list, you should check out her blog.

    ReplyDelete