Friday, July 10, 2009
Relevance of educational technology?
The discussion on the quote from Dewey really got me thinking. It is interesting how Dewey said that we should not be preparing students for the future. However, when it comes to technology some teachers seem to be teaching (preparing) out of the past, therefore, some teachers are not preparing the student for today. When it comes to technology in some schools, administrators are against adding some resources that are available, such as podcasts and cell phone polls, into lesson plans. However, even if all teachers were able to utilize the technology that is available to them, it would still be difficult to teach technology for the future, because technology continues to evolve at a rapid pace. So when thinking about Dewey's quote with the relevance of technology in the classroom, I feel like it should apply. So I feel that if we are able to incorporate current technology into our classroom we would be following Dewey's ideal schools!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree! And, I can't imagine how useful technology will be for you to teach French!! You could get connected to French children and work something out like virtual pen pals or something!! I think it will play a big role in your classroom:)
ReplyDeleteI was thinking about the same thing for french lessons, Great minds think alike!!! Its just making the contacts that I might find difficult.
ReplyDeleteMany of the exciting possibilities require no contacts. For example, making simple podcasts with a tool like dropio allows a teacher to get a much better sense of where her students are with regard to their pronunciation. Podcasting is on this Friday's agenda, so you'll have the chance to check things out more closely.
ReplyDelete